- Ancient Eygptians first recognised the beneficial properties of oats around 2000 BC and they were used in Roman times for dermatological issues.
- Colloidal Oatmeal is finely grained into a powder which can then be suspended into a liquid with insoluble particles. This means it can retain the beneficial effects of the whole grain but be applied and absorbed evenly into the skin.
- Finnish Oats are renowned for their high Beta-glucan levels which enhances the moisturising content.
- Manufactured in Finland with a patented process to optimise skin care properties.
- Sourced from sustainable and traceable sources.
Properties of Colloidal Oats
- Oats are a humectant, attracting moisture.
- Rich source of avenanthramides – phenolic alkaloids which reduce irritation, redness and have anti-itch properties.
- Contain polysaccharides – molecules, which when combined with moisture, form a gel. This strengthens barrier function, by forming a protective barrier like another skin, as well as reinforcing the skin’s own barrier by assisting with production of filaggrin, present in the stratum corneum, which helps replenish new cells.
- Contain saponins – compounds that have soap like qualities, which lather when mixed with water, and bind with oils and dirt, removing impurities from the skin. However it gently cleanses, yet leaves behind natural oils.
- Starches in the oatmeal absorb water, enabling it to moisturise and hydrate the skin.
- Grainy texture which acts as an exoliator.
- Natural, nutrient-rich product which rarely causes any reactions, making it suitable for sensitive skin.
- Buffering action which maintains skin to normal pH level.
Benefits of Oat Lipid Oil
- Oat Lipid Oil is extracted using a cellulose-derived ethanol to produce a crude oil.
- It contains cholesterol, ceramides and fatty acids in significant concentrations, all naturally found in the skin and required for healthy skin.
- Rich in phospholipids to aid moisturisation.
- Excellent level of anti-oxidants.
- Contains ceramides, a waxy lipid molecule, in the same quantity as found in an extract. It prevents excessive water loss as well as a barrier against micro organisms.
- Hydrates, moisturises and improves skin barrier function
Benefits of Colloidal Oats
There is evidence to suggest Colloidal Oats:
- Soothe irritated skin, redness and reduce itching sensation.
- Maintain, repair and protect the skin’s own barrier function whilst producing an additional occlusive layer of protection.
- Gently cleanse the skin of dirt, yet maintain natural oils.
- Moisturise, nourish and hydrate the skin.
- Have proven anti-ageing properties with typical Beta-glucan content of 5-6%, which can impact on the rebuilding of collagen.